Monday, September 14, 2009

Still no waffles

But a whole lotta languages! Sweet mercy. Anyway, today was my first day at the College of Europe. No orientation, no class. They just handed us a huge packet of papers and our room keys and said "Good luck." No kidding. I like my room, although it is in a smoking residence. This was somehow not surprising to me, however. Because in July, when they sent the email asking whether we would like smoking or non, I of course wrote back in all caps and with several exclamation points that I would prefer to return home smelling like myself, not an ashtray. Life seems to foil my plans in this regard. Every single time you can "request" something but are not necessarily guaranteed to get it, I am guaranteed NOT to get my request. I do have to laugh at the irony. Let's just hope that I won't get sick due to all of the courrants d'air in my room thanks to the windows being open. :) Anyway, it was a fun day, but I am feeling rather emotionally numb. Too much social stimulation I believe. Ha! So it is off to dinner soon with some new acquaintances - Aurore, from France, Rita, from Italy, and Toulant, from Kosovo - a fun bunch, but aren't we all? I hope dinner was better than lunch (Furman DH is actually winning). And finally, I am sooooo thankful that I DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE FRENCH LANGUAGE PLACEMENT EXAM!!!!! I am sorry. I am a little excited. There is nothing I dread more than an entrance exam. Ok, maybe a final exam, but I still have a while before those are upon me. A bientot, ciao, dag, later, Ali

1 comment: