Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Help!

This is a plea for my followers (and all of the rest of you occasional readers). My thesis topic is due in one week. That is seven days. That means that I need some ideas, and fast! I am a bit drained of creativity, originality, and academic motivation since my last foray into the world of thesis writing, so I was hoping to get a few suggestions. I am currently studying international relations and diplomacy with a focus on European studies (i.e. the European Union). My topic should have something to do with international political relations but does not have to involve Europe (and please, don't even think about mentioning France). If there is an issue out there that you are dying to read a 50 page well-researched paper on, then PLEASE, let me know what it is! You can email all suggestions to ali.pauluhn@gmail.com. Thanks.

Now for a short update. Today was Bruges Day. Trust me, it sounds more fun than it is; although, we did get out of classes for a day, so I cannot really complain. Anyway, this entailed about three hours of poorly planned and horrendously executed meetings with city officials followed by a two and a half hour tour of ZeeBrugge (Bruges' gigantic industrial port) on a bus, with a tour guide, who felt the need to point out even the cows in the fields and explain their existence. I am not sure why I continually attend things I know will not be interesting. I always feel as if I should participate, but I really need to start evaluating myself a little better. Of several things I am now certain and will forever take into account when future excursions are suggested. 1. I hate tour guides. I do not care if they know everything there is to know about a place or a subject. I have FINALLY realized that I am the type of person who likes to discover things and especially places on my own. 2. Even at this stage in life, most boys have the maturity level of their 15 year old selves. This might be a harsh generalization, but you were not on the bus stuck behind dumb and dumber and their smuggled smelly beers. And finally, 3. No matter where you are, the same social hierarchy exists. It is truly fascinating. The "popular" kids will always be "popular" and they will always sit together. And the genuine people, those with charisma, personality, and a penchant for the extraordinary will sit at a different table (but will most likely have WAY more interesting stories to tell). I will sit with them. Always and forever. And I will never regret it.

Peace, love, and waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment