Friday, September 18, 2009

Batter is Better

So for today, a random thought that has nothing whatsoever to do with school, but everything to do with waffles. As many of you know, I love batter. All kinds. Do I thought it would be a good idea to commence a short discussion on it. First, let's get one thing straight: things are simply better before they are cooked, baked, grilled or fried. It is a simple fact of life and a standard to which I intend to adhere no matter how many times I am warned of the dangers of eating raw eggs. I just love batter.
I don't think I have ever met a batter I did not like or was unwilling to try; however, there is a clear hierarchy.

A list of my favorite types of batter, in order:
1. Zucchini bread batter
2. Pancake or waffle batter
3. White cake mix batter
4. Banana bread batter

And now, onto some batter technique. Zucchini bread batter is an interesting experience. One full of sugar, cinnamon and delight for sure, but also a surprising texture. The zucchini makes the batter rather slippery, so I recommend attacking the bowl after (most of) the batter has been poured into the pans. On Saturday mornings after my dad makes pancakes or waffles, I usually go after the bowl with a spoon, or even better, a spatula. Sometimes I forgo the formality and just use the measuring cup to pour some onto my hand. This is the best part of the whole weekend. Cake mixes are another joy, especially Duncan Heinz or Betty Crocker. The white cake mix beats chocolate any day and someday, I will eat an entire cake mix on my own. That is a promise. The problem with cake mixes is the fact that it does not stick to the beater as well as some others. And you can never get enough of it. A spoon is almost always required. As for banana bread batter, as long as there are no nuts, count me in! Banana muffins are the best because there is usually some batter left over; not enough to make a whole muffin, but definitely too much to risk rinsing the bowl. It simply must be eaten and is rarely ever shared. I believe that covers my list of favorites, but there are others(brownie batter for example).
There is only one batter rule that must never ever be broken! Never ever put the bowl in the sink if there is any trace of batter left. Days have been ruined for me by this tragedy - and tragedy it is! When you come back into the kitchen after eating your cooked pancakes only to find that the remaining batter has been diluted with water and Dawn dish soap, you may as well kiss the day good bye. When you come downstairs after hearing the kitchen aid mixer go off only to find the perfectly good beater lying in a puddle in the sink, it is one of the most disappointing things a person can experience. Trust me, I know.

So please, the next time you are baking, invite me over, share the batter, and I'll take care of the bowl.


Tomorrow I will talk about Belgium, I promise. For now, HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe on Saturdays Parapluie should have a batter bar... Mmm...

    I totally agree w/ you. It is a cardinal rule not to bring a bowl w/ any trace of batter to my attention. Batter is the best. And if raw eggs kill me, at least I went out on a heavenly high :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Batter Bar! What a fabulous idea!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete