Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cafe au Lait

What a wonderful day. I am not sure why, but I was struck today by that elusive contentment that sometimes settles on one's mind when obligation and responsibility are forgotten and you are just happy to be where you are. The kind of peace that comes when you finally realize that life is beautiful and easy and something not to be dreaded but appreciated. I met new people, had a cafe au lait after dinner and a good laugh with new friends. I walked back to my room through one of the most beautiful cities in the world and I looked around at where I was. I watched the sun-streaked sky darken, with my i-pod on shuffle, anticipating the surprise of the next song. I watched the tourists consulting their maps and I listened to the man playing the accordion on the street corner as the horse drawn carriage drove by. I smiled the whole way home. I know from experience that this feeling or more this momentary realization does not last long. It is impossible to hold onto. But for one fleeting moment, you are complete and content and genuinely happy. What a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment