Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Note to Self

It's probably not a good idea to go running when it is under 25 degrees outside.  BRRRR!  I think I actually came back with a bit of frostbite on my ankles where my leggings don't quite meet my socks.  Next time, I'll wait for spring.  And waiting for spring I am!  I cannot wait for warmer weather, clearer skies (I am actually not sure whether or not that is on the weather agenda for a Belgian spring, but here's hoping), and a light jacket.  No more coats, leggings under jeans or double-layered mittens please.  I want the sun to shine, the trees to bloom and for that happy time of year to return.  I realize it is only just now the beginning of September.  I also realize that I still have two weeks on the Polish tundra to face before I have any chance of glimpsing spring.  I just can't help willing it and wishing it along.
Speaking of willing and wishing, I have been doing a lot of that in regards to home lately.  It's just about that time when I am ready to be back.  I've been here for several months, have gotten along remarkably well for having such an appreciation for American culture, but recently, I have been feeling the urge to fly back home.  It's funny, actually.  I miss my family and friends, of course, but the small differences in every day life are really what has started to get to me.  I want the grocery store to be open on Sunday.  I want to watch a movie without subtitles.  I would like to eat a very large brunch at St. Louis Bread Co.  I would like to stand in front of the fountain soda machine at Quick Trip for a solid hour and continually refill my 32 oz. drink with crushed ice, Diet Coke, and fizzy cherry syrup.  I want to pet my dog.  I then want to get out all of my craft supplies and MAKE SOMETHING.  Then perhaps I will whip up a batch of scones or cupcakes in my kitchen.  Finally, I would like to sit on a couch, turn off my brain, and watch as much television as is humanly possible in a 24 hour period.  Bring on the boxed set of Smallville seasons 1-8 while we are at it.
Yep.  That's about it.  Nothing major, just a touch of wistfulness that all the thesis research in the world can't drown.  St. Louis, I'll see you in June.

Peace, Love, and Waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment