Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Ball

So, last Saturday the Danube region countries held their national party.  It was a Viennese Ball!  I went shopping with Rita a few weeks ago and bought a lovely sapphire-blue cocktail dress, taking advantage of the January sales in Belgium.  Several days before the ball, word got out that I am a "hairstylist." I warned people that I could only handle three appointments (this I learned the hard way from several years of rushing to school dances with half-finished hair myself).  Somehow I ended up with 5 appointments - I am just nice, I suppose - and ended up styling hair from 4:00 in the afternoon until minutes before hopping in the cab to the hall at 8:30.  It was crazy, but so much fun!  I really miss doing things like that.  High school dances, Proms, weddings . . . the list goes on.  I just love doing hair.  And I'm not going to lie, I love overhearing the compliments my clients receive.  I have been told before and now people are saying it again "You don't need to be here, why are you in school?  Especially in grad school!"
It takes me back to my high school years when I was seriously contemplating going to beauty school instead of real school for college.  My parents, while always supportive of my dreams, nudged (okay, shoved) me toward "regular school," explaining that there would always be time to become a professional stylist.   It has always been one of those decisions in life that I have thought about quite a bit, not necessarily regretting my decision, but always keeping that "other option" in the back of my mind.  I'll admit, most days I would rather dash around curling, twisting, and pinning hair for 4 hours rather than spending that same amount of time reading a scholarly article, but I am pleased with the path I have chosen.  Going to Furman introduced me to some of the best people and opportunities in my life.  I left there knowing some of my favorite people in this world, and some of my favorite memories are based in Greenville, South Carolina.  The College of Europe is proving to be a similarly positive experience.  It is a year that, despite all of the stress and complaining, will be one of the most memorable years of my life I am sure.
So I could have gone to beauty school.  Who knows, maybe I still will.  But before you see my handiwork on the red carpet, I have some business to take care of in Washington.

PS, If anyone knows how to combine a degree in international relations with professional styling, please be sure to let me know.

Peace, Love, and Waffles.

2 comments:

  1. I can agree that maybe life would be a little easier/simple if I would have decided to just get a job instead of enduring more school. Sometimes I really wonder what I was thinking? But that would have been too easy and we are not ones to pick the easy route, now are we?
    Just maybe you can be a hair consultant for those on Capital Hill as you also work as an Ambassador. Washington could probably use a little pick me up in hair department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can style my hair when you and I are on the red carpet with the grillmasters and my three/your two/our eventual zero degrees of separation special person ;)

    ReplyDelete