Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Parapluies in Paris!

Bonjour tout le monde!  Hello everyone!  I am back in Bruges once again.  I just spent the loveliest weekend in Paris with two of my dearest friends and today I just can't seem to wipe the smile off of my face.  Sure I have a ton of stuff to do, but all I have to do to de-stress myself now is think back to this past weekend.  It was just what I needed. *Giant sigh*
On Friday morning I made my Dad call me at 5 a.m. (10p.m. in St. Louis) to wake me up so I wouldn't miss my early early train into Brussels and then the Thalys into Paris.  Miraculously, I made it on time and arrived in Gare du Nord bursting with excitement.  I was s finally back in FRANCE!!  It had been so long (since 2007) and I missed that place like it was a second home.  There will always be something so intimately familiar about Paris for me.  It is one of my favorite places on earth and I hope to make it back there often in the course of my life.  This weekend just solidified that feeling for me.
After fighting the crowds to get my Metro pass, I met up with Sarah at Gare de l'Est where there was much hugging and squealing.  We had not seen each other in almost a year, and it was so nice to see her again.  From there we went to meet Sally at Gare de Lyon for another happy reunion.  More hugs, bigger squeals.  I heart my friends and I did not realize how much I had missed them until we were laughing together again.
Friday included lunch in the Latin Quarter, crêpes, drinks with Brita at the Lizard Lounge (so nice to see her too), boutique shopping in the Marais, and a stroll down the Champs Elysées!  Another giant squeal.  I do believe I jumped up and down when I saw the Arc de Triumphe.  Then it was a failed attempt to find a quick dinner under 10 Euros which led us to six piece Mcnuggets and M&M Mcflurries at the Champs Elysées McDonalds.  (Don't judge us.  Someone has to uphold the stereotypes).  After our nutritious meal we put on our 3-D glasses and settled in for a showing of Alice in Wonderland!  It was a day jam-packed with hugs, squeals, and fun that can only be had in Paris.
Saturday was the day we had all been waiting for.  A short trip on the RER and we arrived at Disneyland Paris, the promised land.  We had hoped that the freezing cold, high winds, and driving rain would deter other, younger visitors, but we were wrong.  This, however, did not stop us from having an excellent Disney experience.  We rode Space Mountain, Star Tours, Pirates of the Caribbean, the Teacups, Peter Pan, and several other rides.  I must say that the Carousel (upon which the average age was 10) was one of my favorites.  We raced to find the best horses to ride and thoroughly enjoyed that 30 second segment of our lives.  The highlight of the Disney trip was definitely dinner.  We planned ahead this time and made a reservation at the Blue Lagoon, a restaurant INSIDE the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.  Everyone who rides the ride floats past the restaurant.  It is freaking awesome.  We had swordfish and for desert, a flaming crème brulée.  It was AMAZING!  We basically closed down the park and then headed back to our discount hotel for some much needed sleep.
Sunday brought with it a beautiful Easter morning.  Sally and I went to Hillsong, Paris, a contemporary church that is gaining a lot of popularity among youth in big cities.  It was a great service and so refreshing to encounter a young, dynamic, christian community in a city like Paris.  It gave me a lot of hope.  I was also very glad for the opportunity to worship with Sally on Easter.  He is risen!
Sunday afternoon brought us back to the Latin Quarter for another crêpe, a long and windy walk along the Seine, past the Louvre, through the Tuileries and finally to the Eiffel Tower.  The sun was shining for us at the Eiffel Tower and I couldn't have been happier.  We spent Sunday evening relaxing, eating pizza, and watching videos we had shot the last time we were all in France.  I have not laughed that much in a long time.  It felt good.
Monday morning was sad.  Just sad.  Sally and Sarah left me in the morning and then I had to leave Paris.  So I said goodbye to three of my best friends and headed back to reality. But I think that after that weekend, I am ready to face whatever Bruges has to throw at me over the next three months.  And I'll  promise you this, I am going back to Paris as soon as is humanly possible.
I hope your Easter was filled with as many blessings as mine.

Peace, Love, and Waffles.

1 comment:

  1. The promised land! I love it! Does this mean we are now back in our respective Egypts? This school is my pharaoh! Haha. MISS YOU LIKE MAD!!!!!!!!!

    P.S. TEACUP!

    ReplyDelete