Sunday, March 14, 2010

Weekend Away

The weekend of the 8th, a group of about 60 of us traveled to Krakow on what can be described as my worst experience on a train, ever.  There were no seats left when we boarded, so 30 of us were crowded into the freezing corridors to stand for the three and a half hour journey.  This would not have been too bad; however, my patience wore thin as those around me began to consume copious amounts of alcohol while attempting to break the Guiness Book of World Records record for the longest consecutive drunk karaoke session aboard a train.  Mind you, drunk karaoke actually has the advantage of supplying those singing with the words to the song.  No such luxury was provided my ears during this trip.  Needless to say, I was thankful when we arrived and I could finally hear the music playing at top volume in my iPod.  It was a short bitterly cold walk to the hostel, but once we were checked in, things were looking up.  That is, until I tripped over a suitcase and fell flat on my face in the middle of the entire group.  Awesome night.  Awesome.
But I was laughing by the end of it.  Our hostel was amazing!  It was located right on the main square, across from St. Mary's Basilica.  Snow was falling on the city and it was beautiful.  Several of us went out for a night of dancing and kebabs.  It certainly made up for the train ride there.  
Now for the real reason I was excited to be in Krakow.  For those of you who attended Our Redeemer with me for grade-school, you will remember that sometime around fifth grade we read a book called "The Trumpeter of Krakow."  I remember liking the book at first, but then being sincerely disappointed by the ending.  But for some reason, I have always remembered that book and the little trumpeter boy who saved Krakow and the Sorcerer's Stone from the evil alchemist.  Imagine my surprise when at midnight on that first night, I heard a trumpet begin to play from one of St. Mary's towers.  The melody of the song ended without really ending, just like in the story.  I cannot actually explain to you what I felt standing in the Krakow Market Square at that very moment.  It was one of those moments where your past catches up with the present and for a split second you remember that person you used to be - that little girl who had no idea that she would one day hear the Trumpeter of Krakow play from the windows of a real tower.  It is moments such as these that I cherish in my travels.  When the past catches up to the present and makes the world that much more real.  

Peace, Love, and Waffles.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank God I've never experienced THAT on one of my trains this year! Just everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still amazes me that you can remember that book so vividly.

    ReplyDelete