Sunday, March 14, 2010

Back in Bruges

Sorry for the brief blogging hiatus, guys.  Our week-long simulation game kind of took over my life for a while.  But now I am back in Bruges and blogging some more.  Rather than a long boring recap of the past two weeks, I will share some highlights and, as usual, some musings.
Despite what I may have reported shortly after arriving, Poland turned out to be extremely fun.  Warsaw is an amazingly vibrant city.  Both the old and new parts of the city have a lot to offer.  One of the things I love most about exploring new cities are the surprises that you can stumble upon completely unexpectedly.  This happened a few times on this trip.  I especially love walking into Europe's churches and cathedrals.  Gothic, Roman, medieval, renaissance, it doesn't much matter, because you never know exactly what you will find behind those heavy wooden doors.  I love the silence, the echoing footsteps, and the horridly ornate altars.  "Awe" is usually the word that describes the look on my face, no matter how many of these churches I have seen over the years.  The fact that at one point in our history, mankind spent decades building these ornate houses of Christian worship is astounding.  And yet, I always leave just a little saddened by the fact that most have been reduced to tourist attractions like the ruins of their pagan predecessors.  Still, for me, there is something magical about staring up at a stained glass rose window above a baroque marble altar.  The first Sunday we went into Warsaw, a few of us walked into a random church on our way to the city center.  It just so happened that it was the Church of the Holy Cross, a 17th century baroque wonder that now houses Chopin's heart.  We were lucky enough to catch an amazing chorale concert there by accident.
So my tourist tip of the day is: It is always worth walking inside.  This tip applies to more than just churches.  You should always explore the smallest alleys, the tiniest shops, and the hidden cafés.  You never know when you'll hear an amazing concert, find a budding artist, or sample the perfect bowl of broccoli soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment