Thursday, March 25, 2010

Happy International Waffle Day!

Did you know that today, March 25, is International Waffle Day?!  I sure didn't, that is, until I received an email from a reader today wishing me a happy International Waffle Day!  Apparently, it originated in Sweden, although details are unclear as to why.  Honestly, though, the why does not really matter in the end.  What matters is that some soul out there cared about waffles enough to set aside an entire day in their honor.  At least some people have their priorities in order.  I know I am a little late on this one, but I am excited nonetheless!  I wish I had known about it before.  I would have gone out and treated myself to a delectable warm waffle with banana pieces on top.  YUM!  Actually, I had one of those yesterday.  Unfortunately, it does not count.  So I guess I will just have to make up for my ignorance tomorrow and visit my favorite waffle stand.  Alas, poor me.  In the meantime, here are some fun waffle facts:*

  • Waffle Houses across America  have, since their 1955 founding, served more than 495,264,367 waffles.
  • Eggo waffles were sold in supermarkets for the first time in 1953.
  • Today is International Waffle Day;  August 24 is National Waffle Day (which was created to celebrate the first American patent on a waffle Iron in 1869), and the first week of September is National Waffle Week ( I wish I had know about this one too).
  • Each year Waffle House customers eat more than 334,000 pounds of pecans in their waffles. That is more than 21 million pecans.
  • Waffles originated in the Middle Ages when batter was cooked by being pressed between two hot irons.  
  • There are several types of waffles.  The most common are: American (which use baking powder), Belgian (which use yeast), Hong Kong Style (served as a street snack), and Scandinavian style (thin and heart-shaped).  
  • Without waffles, we would not have ice cream cones.  At the 1904 World Fair exhibition in St. Louis, MO (yeah, that's right.  St. Louis!!!!), Ernest Hamwi, a waffle vendor, offered his warm waffles rolled in a conical shape to a nearby ice-cream vendor who had run out of dishes. 
Well, I suppose that is enough waffle history for today. I hope you enjoyed the object lesson.  Also, I would love it if you would leave a comment on the blog listing your favorite waffle toppings!  Then we can see which are the most popular.  

Peace, Love, and Waffles,
Ali


*All facts and figures were taken from:
http://www.theheraldbulletin.com/peopleandplaces/local_story_083205956.html
http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/icecreamcone.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle

3 comments: