Friday, November 6, 2009

Ouch

Today hurt.  Physically, mentally, emotionally . . . .   It was just one of those days.  It began far too early this morning and with far too little sleep.  I arrived in class this morning (miraculously on time; it's amazing how fast you can walk when you have to be somewhere!) and strapped in for three hours of EU legal aspects.  Ew.  Then I ate lunch.  Then I had another two hours of legal aspects.  Ew, ew.  Then we had a fifteen minute break.  Then I had three hours of global political economy.  Ew, ew, ew.  Then I went to dinner, proceeded to get my favorite scarf stuck in the zipper of my favorite coat, from whence I concluded my fabulous day by tearing my scarf and breaking my zipper beyond repair.  So now I have no more favorite scarf and no more (functional) winter coat.  And it's cold.  Great day.

Anyway, let's just say today was not my day.

But yesterday was pretty cool.  I would like to take the opportunity to thank Brugge West Rotary Club for welcoming my host counselor, Paul, and me to your club yesterday evening.  I really enjoyed meeting all of you and I hope you enjoyed the presentation!  Thanks for the hospitality.  I have never found it to be lacking in Brugge.
Yesterday was a busy day as well, but I must say that I really look forward to giving these Rotary presentations.  It's always fascinating to meet some of these people, most with either an amazing job, life story, or crazy connection to someplace/someone I know.  It's a chance to share a (delicious)  meal with new people and to really establish that special Rotary connection.  I must admit, I was skeptical about the idea when I first learned about my scholarship.  I thought, honestly, who cares who I am, where I am from, and why I am in Brugge.  But I have been so utterly and pleasantly surprised how much they (and I) appreciate exploiting the connection we have as members of this extraordinary organization.  In what other setting is one given the opportunity to travel to a foreign country - to which one has never been - and be taken into a "family" of caring, like-minded individuals that want nothing more than to help other people and understand one another better?  It is truly amazing and a wonderful blessing.  I do not know of any other such global "support network."  The Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship is one essential tool in building cross-cultural understanding and international networks.  As a political scientist  (ok, yes, go ahead and call me one) and as someone who has always recognized the value in travel and culture exploration,  I can say that I see the true value in this program.  There is not another opportunity like it.  So thanks again to all of my Rotary friends, new and old, for getting me to Belgium.  I am honored to be a part of this organization.

So sorry to those of you who don't know much about the scholarship or about Rotary in general.  But you should really check it out.  They are doing some amazing things in the world.  (Much more amazing even than sending me to Belgium :)  Seriously, go to Rotary.org and have a look around.

Sorry to the rest of you for the inadvertent publicity.  Back to my original topic.  This evening has slowly improved; although, I don't think it is in the running to beat yesterday anymore.  But I talked to my best friend Sally on Skype for about an hour and a half after dinner.  And considering I have not talked to her in a month or seen her since MAY, we were long overdue for a chat.  Luckily she is coming to Bruges on Friday to see me!  I then proceeded to spend the next hour learning vital survival skills and negotiating strategies in this week's episode of Survivor!  (LOVE!!).  So now, I think I need to get working and keep working this weekend so I can finish my papers and take next Saturday off guilt-free!
On that note, off to do some German.  Have a wonderful, and hopefully warm and dry, rest of the day everyone!

Peace, Love, and Waffles!
(The next waffle I will eat will be with Sally on Saturday!!  Can't wait!)

3 comments:

  1. I'm in ur bed eating ur wafflez- hahaha. Oh my gosh! SO excited that we got to Skype & especially that I get to see you in less than a week! AHHHH!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your Monday was better than your last Friday!

    ReplyDelete