Wednesday, November 4, 2009

OH MY GOSH!!!

I just submitted my first paper to the College of Europe.  I am hyperventilating a little bit; I won't lie.  I hate pressing the send button!  It means that you lose all control over your grade and therefore, your future.  I usually need some moral support at moments like these.  Most of the time I have to call someone and have them talk me through it as I press the button.  I managed to do it on my own tonight, but it was tough!  Now I just get to look forward to doing it another three times in the next two weeks.  Joy.  But at the same time, after I press that button, there is some sense of relief.  At least until I get the paper handed back.  But I won't get into that now.

So, aside from this VERY big news, today was a pretty cool day.  We had the official opening ceremony of the academic year this morning.  It was a formal event and I quickly realized I have no nice winter clothes; so I was absolutely freezing the whole time in my cotton dress and peep toe pumps.  Not to mention the fact that walking on cobble-stone streets in heels is nearly impossible.  I think I got stuck like six times on my way.  I must have looked really funny to whoever was walking behind me!  Oh well.
So the actual ceremony was a bit different.  There was some good and some bad.  Bad was the 40 minute speech by the Rector of the College on the life and teachings of Charles Darwin (ps, Darwin is the "mascot" of our promotion.  Don't ask me.  I don't get it either).  At times I was a bit offended.  But that is beside the point.  The man never made any connection between Darwin and the study of political science (although I am not sure one can be made).  I did learn that he married his first cousin.

Good was the string quartet that played during the opening and several breaks.  They were AMAZING! The whole ceremony should have been a concert by the string quartet.  I would have loved it!
Also good, though, was the fact that we had the President of the European Parliament as our keynote speaker. He gave a very nice speech on the future of Europe, you know, the usual.  But it was good.  Although he did keep mentioning how proud "we" should be as Europeans.  :)  I was sitting next to a girl from Colombia and every time he referred to the audience as European we just laughed.
Following the speech was a fancy reception and plenty of finger food and mingle time.  It was really fun to see everyone all dressed up!
So those were the highlights today.  Now I have to do some reading.  Have a great afternoon, evening, night everyone!  (No reference to "The Truman Show" just to differing time zones).

Peace, Love, and Waffles.

1 comment:

  1. So I just caught up on all of your posts and it was AMAZING! Now I have to walk back to the bomb shelter in the dark! aha

    ReplyDelete