Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Another Great Night for Rotary

A much needed study break presented itself in the form of my fourth official Rotary presentation this evening, and what a lovely evening it turned out to be.  I would like to give a special thanks for Rotary Club Brugge South for hosting me this evening.  It was wonderful meeting all of you and I am looking forward to coming back in January!  You guys were great!

The evening was, in my opinion, a success.  Paul and I agreed it was my best presentation and also the club with the best atmosphere.  He described it as being "jovial" and I couldn't agree more.  This club has energy, initiative, and lots of fun it seems.  I was happy to be their guest (cue Beauty and the Beast song).   I was a bit flustered, having spent the last few days locked in my room studying the intricacies of the European Union's Treaties, but I pulled myself together by the time Paul arrived to pick me up.  I cannot tell you how happy I was when we drove OUT OF THE CITY!!!!  It was my first trip outside of "the ring" since arriving in Brugge.  Please consult the map to understand what I mean by the ring.  It is, in my opinion, a 9 km long invisible wall that has kept me under siege for the past three months.  But not anymore.  Tonight I broke free.  This school is nuts.  End of story.

Back to the good story.  We had a drink and a lovely meal with the first coed Rotary club in Brugge (also one of the youngest clubs).  Then I gave my presentation and for the first time, people had questions for me!  I was highly pleased because the questions were very appropriate and demonstrated a level of interest in my presence that I had yet to experience.  I was even quizzed on some Belgian politics (at least I know a little something about the royal family.  It could have been bad.).  
So it was just nice to be welcomed with such enthusiasm.  It was a long evening but so worth the time!  I will visiting again at the end of January to join the club for bowling!  I am so excited!
Anyway, that pretty much wraps things up.  The only other exiting news (having something to do with life outside of studying) is that I took the plunge and got my haircut today.  This was a HUGE deal for me.  I am very particular about who I trust with my hair, but it was getting to the point that I had to trust someone new - and a non-native English speaker at that.  Kaatje recommended the salon and the stylist was great!  I love my hair.  Crisis averted.
Anyway, enjoy the pictures from the evening and I will try and post again soon.

Peace, Love, and Waffles.  (Wow, I could really go for a waffle right now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment