Thursday, January 21, 2010

"Happy Happy Birthday . . .



From all of us to you, we're glad you had a birthday so we can party too, hey!"  I love that song.  Cracks me up every time.  So yesterday was my birthday.  What a great year to turn 23.  Birthdays away from home, according to prior experience, are usually never very much fun.  There is no family, the friends you have are relatively new, so there is no one around who really actually cares that much that you are one year older.  Well, my theory was proven wrong yesterday.  I had a lovely day spent with several genuine friends.  They may be new friends, but they care a lot.  I did not have any classes - a nice bonus- so I kind of chilled until it was time to go to the American Cafe.  Big surprise everyone, that’s where I had my party.  The owner, who has now become a good friend, baked me a birthday cake and allowed me and my friends to take over the top floor of the cafe for a couple of hours.  We had coffee, real birthday cake with candles and everything, presents, and hilarious conversation.  It was a lovely way to spend my birthday.  I received some gifts as well, which was a surprise.  Paul and Kaatje dropped one off for me on Tuesday night!  They are too good to me.  Now my "correspondence wall" is so full of cards and postcards from people here and at home that it is in danger of spilling over onto the next wall!  Thanks to everyone who sent along their birthday wishes.  It was a beautiful birthday in Belgium and I am looking forward to spending the next one a little closer to home with some of my most loyal reader.  










Peace, Love, and Waffles.

1 comment: