Saturday, June 5, 2010

Wait, What?

This is what I have been asking myself all day.  Because, you see, today I had my last exam.  While it was slightly scary and by no means easy, I managed to talk my way through it and come out of those doors a free woman.  I would say that, in no uncertain terms, I am immensely relieved to be finished (at least with the course work).  Instead of elation, though, I have been experiencing a strange sort of emotional numbness that is very confusing.  The problem is, I am not quite sure what to do with myself now that I have absolutely nothing to do.  Now, a couple of weeks ago, with loads of work still in front of me, I was an expert time-waster.  But now, all that has changed as my life has radically shifted from one filled with European thoughts to a life void of academic aspirations and articles about the EU.  I am so happy and so proud to be finished, but I can't help but wonder what it actually means for me to have completed this year. I have been a student for the past 20 years of my life.  That is who I am.  At least, that is who I was.  I am not sure who or what I will be/become over the coming months and years, and frankly, I am getting anxious about when and how I will figure that out.  The good news is that I can put off the "future" for at least another three weeks.
Tomorrow, it is off to Paris for the weekend and then down to Brive-la-Gaillarde and Royan to see the Verdier family!  (By the way, I will not have my computer with me, which means no internet access and no contact with the outside world until Thursday the 10th.  This is actually the scariest part for me because lately I have been in a very committed relationship with my laptop and I don't know how we will handle the time apart.)  Anyway, after France I have a few more fun things to look forward to in Bruges.  Then the results are in on the 19th and it's back to the States on the 20th.  I am extremely excited to be going to Charleston for a week before heading home for the wedding of two dear friends, Alison and James.  After that, STL and then life.  So I'll keep you posted.  Thanks for reading.

As always,
Peace, Love, and Waffles.

PS, did I mention I was DONE?  Not sure you got the message.  I am FREE!

2 comments:

  1. YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY! Love you and cant wait to see you (on my birthday) But have tons of fun in France, and at Allison's wedding, I am sure it will be a blast.

    -Mia

    ReplyDelete